Eclipse User Trends


Let's briefly look at the trends of Eclipse users. You could say they are comparable to the general Java development community. For starters they are using Subversion as the configuration management tool of choice. They also are using the Linux operating system for desktop development. These developers continually download and use the latest version of Eclipse.

CVS use is on the decline for configuration management. ANT is the build tools of choice. Maven is trying to catch up. Some are just using Eclipse itself to control builds. Web development is done using jQuery (I just got a book on jQuery, so I will be sharing what I learn). The majority of Eclipse users do not contribute to open source. That last statistic surprises me.

I hope I can get my hands on some survey data for Java developers as a whole.