2D Arrays

My Java college class is moving painfully slow. I have decided to read ahead to get to the topics I need for real work. The current chapter is on arrays. I have a game which is run on a two dimensional map. This is a perfect application to two dimensional arrays.

So far my textbook has been concentrating on one dimensional arrays. There is not that much to them. It is only a little involved if you have an array of references to objects. You have to create the array. Then you have to create the objects themselves that are referenced by the array elements.

The next chapter is called Two Dimensional Arrays. That should give me exactly what I need for the game. Right now I am using the actual graphics screen to store things in my game. That is very slow. It is also difficult to do anything complex with the displays. I need 2D arrays to get my business done.